Operating since 1979, the Portugal Day Parade in Elizabeth, NJ is the oldest running Portuguese parade in the State of New Jersey. The parade is organized by the Portugal Day Committee, made up of representatives from each Portuguese organization in the City of Elizabeth and surrounding areas, and showcases the strength, unity, and cultural heritage of the community.
Date & Time
Portugal Day is celebrated the first weekend of June every year in Elizabeth, NJ. Festivities begin with a flag raising at City Hall on Friday and conclude with the Portugal Day Parade and Arraial (an outdoor feast) on Sunday. Check out the full schedule of events below:
- Friday, June 2, 2023 at 6:00 pm: Flag Raising at City Hall, Elizabeth, NJ
- Saturday, June 3, 2023 at 5:00 pm: Arraial (Outdoor Feast) at Portuguese Social Club (PISC), 409 Route 1&9 South
- Sunday, June 4, 2023 at 2:00 pm: Portugal Day Parade starting at Union Square on Elizabeth Avenue
- Sunday, June 4, 2023 at 5:00 pm: Arraial (Outdoor Feast) at Portuguese Social Club (PISC), 409 Route 1&9 South
Every year, just minutes from NYC, we invite you to come escape for a weekend getaway in Elizabeth, NJ, and experience one of the largest Portuguese Parades on the east coast. Celebrate Portuguese traditions and culture at this family-friendly event and enjoy an array of exciting activities including:
- Explore Portuguese history in America (Over a hundred of rare bottles of Portuguese wine, with over 200 years, found in the Liberty Hall Museum!)
- Watch performances by folkloric dance groups “Ranchos” and organizations, and marching bands
- Admire creative and festive parade floats showcasing local Portuguese social clubs, charitable organizations, schools, religious institutions, and businesses
- Enjoy mouthwatering dishes showcasing staples of Portuguese cuisine at arraials
- Support local businesses and discover why Elizabeth is the 5th Best City for Shopping in America (0% sales tax on clothes and shoes!)
For more information, visit the Elizabeth Portugal Day website.
Coming in from out of town? Need a hotel room? We are closer than you think! CLICK HERE to book your hotel today.